A study by the University of Michigan of 373 couples over a 26-year period reveals that:
• Men who are close to their in-laws are 20% less likely to have a divorce; and
• Women who are close to their in-laws are 20% more likely to have a divorce.
Why is there an opposite effect on the longevity of marriage between men and women when it comes to their relationship with their in-laws?
How is having a close relationship with your in-laws helping or hurting your marriage?
In this week’s show, host Chiao Kee Lim speaks to the professor behind this study, Dr. Terri Orbuch about all things in-laws related. Whether you are a daughter-in-law, a son-in-law, a mother-in-law or a father-in-law, this show is for you. Dr. Terri is a psychologist, a marriage & family therapist and the author of the book Finding Love Again: 6 Steps To A New & Happy Relationship and she will be sharing:
• Why women who are close to their in-laws are more likely to have a divorce;
• Why men who are close to their in-laws are less likely to have a divorce;
• Signs you may be too close to your in-laws and how that affects your marriage;
• What to do to set boundaries in your relationship with your in-laws;
• What not to do in your relationship with your in-laws.
Go HERE to listen to the show.
Have questions or comments? Connect with host Chiao Kee Lim using the Contact Us form on this site.
About The Guest
Terri L. Orbuch, PhD better known as “The Love Doctor” is a rising multi-media presence, with live radio and television shows out of Detroit, magazine columns, advice CD’s, bedside inspirations-at-a- glance books, and national speaking engagements and workshops.
The Love Doctor is the new face in town among relationship advisors, with an important difference—unlike doctors Phil, Laura, and Brothers, Dr. Orbuch is a professor and a nationally funded research scientist, in addition to being a marriage and family therapist.
To find out more about Dr. Terri Orbuch and to connect with her, visit her website at http://www.drterrithelovedoctor.com.
Powered by Facebook Comments